The long-absent gargoyles are back at Gowings as one of Sydney’s most historic landmark buildings is transformed into a destination hotel.
The 17-month restoration project promises to retain the distinct heritage of the Gowings building and the State Theatre.
The building was purpose-designed back in 1912, built for the Gowings Bros department store. The retail family owned and occupied some of the building from 1929 until they went into receivership in 2006. Amalgamated Holdings bought the building for $69 million and has spent almost that figure on demolition and redevelopment.
Gothic features, originally designed by the renowned architect Crawford H Mackellar, have been returned to their former glory. The gargoyles and statuettes were removed for safety during World War II — via redwolf.newsvine.com