The Foy brothers openedThe Piazzain 1909 on Liverpool Street. This was a three-storey store (two floors plus basement) designed by architects Arthur McCredie & Arthur Anderson with a turreted mansard roof. The building partially modelled on the Parisian Bon Marche department store. premises in 1909; and its piazza, chandeliers, marble and sumptuous ballroom made it a Sydney institution and one of Australia’s foremost fashion stores. The store had Australia’s first escalator. The store stretched around a whole city block and gave rise to the colloquial saying, when referring to a person of overweening confidence,You’ve got more front than Mark Foy’s. The store was remodelled in 1927. The store was linked in 1926 to the newly opened Museum Railway Station by underground subway.
The City Piazza building is now used as a complex of state courthouses known as the Downing Centre. However, its former role is preserved in the ornate tilework on the facade and surroundings.
The North Apartments, located at 91 Goulburn Street, Sydney, Australia, were designed by the late architect Harry Seidler.
Constructed between 2003-04, the building is oriented with a single façade to the North, facing Goulburn Street.
Each of the 49 apartments features a wave-shaped balcony, so as to accommodate outdoor furniture, at its widened part. The balconies are arranged in a vertically staggered pattern so as to maximise the spatial feeling. As a result, the design breaks away from the usual box-like structures associated with ‘infill’ development.
Colour is introduced into the façade by the use of integrally permanent coloured toughened glass on the balconies’ end rails and dividing screens. There are a mixture of primary and neutral coloured accents all over the façade, giving the building a lively appearance.
The apartments are designed following a split-level planning system, which results in a ceiling height of 2.85 m over the living area and 2.7 m in the raised bedrooms. These raised bedrooms have no windows, and open onto the lounge area. The building contains commercial space on the ground floor, and an indoor lap pool. The foyer of the building features a wall hanging of woven carpet, based on a wall mural in Rose Seidler House, painted by Seidler in 1950.