A researcher at an infectious disease lab died over the weekend after being exposed to a rare bacteria strain that he was working with, said health officials
Richard Din, 25, worked at San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, reported the San Jose Mercury News.
California health authorities said that the victim had worked with the rare Neisseria meningitis bacterial strain for months before his death.
The Contra Costa Times reported that the recent UC-Berkeley biology grad left the lab last Friday and became ill during the evening with fever, chills and a headache.
By Saturday morning his symptoms had grown worse and he developed a body rash.
He called his friends to drive him to the hospital but died shortly after — via redwolf.newsvine.com