Geologists Angry About New ‘Pluton’ Definition

Some geologists are ticked off at the International Astronomical Union for using the word pluton to describe a round object orbiting the sun with a period more than 200 years. A pluton, it seems, is a common type of rock formation that exists in most Geology 101 curricula. IAU head Owen Gingerich is quoted as saying that he was only peripherally aware of the definition, and because it didn’t show up on MS Word’s spell check, he didn’t think it was that important — via Slashdot

Share this Story
Load More Related Articles
Load More By Red Wolf
Load More In Science

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

It’s pronounced GIF / Tom Scott

Is there a right way to pronounce it? ...

Photos from Flickr